Monday, February 6, 2012

Not Again!

I have just had a call from the Red Cross AGAIN asking for a donation. I get a call maybe once a week or ten days, and I am so sick of it.... always having to make excuses while trying to be polite. It's such an invasion of privacy, to be assailed in your home. But, they are real people on the other end, trying to earn a living while doing good work, and I do try to treat them as such.

I bought some raffle tickets around four years ago, and they are still opening the conversation with a big 'thank you'.

I began donating blood last year and tell them proudly that I do, and they make pleased noises, but it still doesn't steer them away from their appointed task.

So today I said, "Oh no, not again!", quite loudly. While the poor man floundered around, I said most of the above, and that I was supporting a lot of animal welfare stuff at the moment and really wanted to be left alone. We laughed, and he asked me if I wanted to be put onto the 'do not call' list, and I sighed loudly with relief and said YES please!

We parted in good humour and I now look forward to some peace.

PS. When I have more time, I will write about my new found vegetarianism and the animal welfare battles that are dear to my heart.

2 comments:

Ann ODyne said...

My blood donations are up to 14 litres now, and of course I am on the bone-marrow database. The biggest thrill was being a match for someone, and I got so excited thinking I could save a child's life, but then the second tier of matching was not good enough and I was devastated.
re vegetarianism - I have never cooked a chicken ever, and I never buy meat, although I will eat it if a dinner guest.
I am sick over yesterday's news of the cow off a truck and never read beyond those awful headlines when there is Bad Animal Stuff.

Robyn Rinehart Art said...

Well done on the 14 litres and all of the above!

I had 3 pints of blood 40 years ago and always swore that I would reciprocate. It took me a long time to do just that, but am very pleased I do now. It gives you a boost knowing someone is doing well because of it.

Re: Cooking meat... I am completely 'over it' and now find it quite hard to still have to do it for my fella.