Sunday, January 11, 2009

Snakes Again

We had our summer confrontation with our local tiger snakes last weekend and fortunately the dogs were not involved for a change.

My man was happily browsing through his considerable piles of stuff in his shed. He moved his mower, and there it was - a metre long tiger! I heard muffled 'f' words coming from the depths and no answer to my query but more of the same.

Sadly his accumulation of things in his cave gave the snake ample opportunity for escape, so it lives on, hopefully in harmony with the noisy male part-time resident, my fella.

The dogs' kennels are built into the rear of the shed with openings to the outside and a concreted run. All the snake had to do was slither under one of the internal doors and he could have happy 'hissy' chats with the poodles. They're not very forgiving with snakes as two snake bites so far have proved, so we blocked that exit with wood nailed to the ground to close the gap under each doorway. A snake now has to come out the front and go round to the run and get in that way.

He's probably been living there for months, we just hadn't met until now. I've sprayed the snake repellent everywhere, so hopefully that will send it into a spin and it may leave.

We can only hope, and in the meantime the other 'cave dweller' had better wear boots and long pants.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Old sheds, woodpiles, all crawling with lethal spiders and snakes. You wouldn't think I grew up in the country....well, actually, that is probably why I am scared of such places as I know what they contain.

zooms said...

totally understand the 'f' bits, x

Ann ODyne said...

... well if you make a pile of old stuff, it just attracts them.

Take care of those precious pudels, please.

Robyn Rinehart Art said...

Re: the poodles Ann, I was worrying myself sick about them, but decided to let go and allow nature to take its course. The two girls spend a lot of time racing around, and could meet one anywhere, I can't help that. I just have the trusty Vitamin C in the fridge and a syringe, and I'll shoot 'em up with that if it happens. I know that works from past experience

The joys of living in the country Andrew, I know what you mean.
:0)