Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Physiotherapy Revelations.............

My wrist has been pretty much frozen for the past seven and a half weeks. There is a small amount of movement up and down, very little sideways, and it won't turn so that I could hold a handful of anything. The fingers won't close into a fist, and the thumb has only a little bend. Hanging onto my motorcycle bars, while saving my life, wrenched my thumb badly, so it has been pretty unusable since.

That is improving, though it still won't bend. I can hold light things now, like an empty coffee cup.

The plate is on the inside of the wrist, and set quite high, so is impeding the movement of the wrist downwards. That can't come out for a time yet. It sits just under the skin, and feels quite uncomfortable at times. I will know more on the 28th when I see the surgeon.

My physiotherapist can be quite brutal, but he is quite pleased with the progress, though he says 'it will take a while'.

Yesterday he worked on the unbroken ulna to hand connection, where the joint has frozen. It had been under pressure from the cast for two weeks after the break, when in desperation, I got the pliers and broke the plaster. I suppose the prolonged inactivity also caused more damage. Trying to rotate the wrist now pulls on that joint big time.

Although he exerted a lot of very uncomfortable pressure when he worked the joint, I could see what he was trying to do. Pushing the bones in opposite directions, he actually 'broke the seal'. I felt it 'pop' as it released, then some alarming cracking noises, like when you crack your knuckles. He was very pleased and massaged it round and round, talking about 'sliding' the bones in the joint against each other.

I don't seem to be able to do that at home, but Thursday will bring another session. Fascinating stuff.........

To add to the distress, I took a tumble the other day with my already damaged knee. So I am hobbling around like a silly old cripple. I think I fell onto my wrist because it has an area of new soreness on the back. What a dope!

Living on 'The Hill' means lots of sloping ground, so more `care is needed.
..........................................

Arr, what the heck! It's looking good from up here!


"If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one."
... Cavett Robert

No comments: