Thursday, September 27, 2007

Zara's Dolly


"Think what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had cookies and milk about three o'clock every afternoon and then lay down on our blankets for a nap."
... Barbara Jordan

Today's drawing is one of Zara's favourite toy. We call it her 'dolly' to differentiate between that and her 'teddy'. She does know the difference between the two words. Both are stuffed poodle toys, and she has had them for most of her life with us.

This one was given to me by my friend Janis when we got Zara, and she would probably be quite surprised how this little toy has lasted puppyhood and many cleansing trips through the washing machine. She is very soft mouthed and gentle with her toys, and this one has survived with only its nose chewed off. I got to it with black thread and closed up the hole, thinking I might form a new nose, but now the poor thing has only a lop sided grimace left. She doesn't care and carries it around proudly to drop it in my lap so I can have a pretend wrestle with her. She loves it when I make little squeaking noises and pretend it's hiding down behind my chair, only to pop up and delight her.

She is happiest when she has a toy in her mouth so she can start a conversation with me about it. My sock in the morning is a good substitute if no toy is nearby. I have to grab at it as she goes outside to the loo, or my socks and her toys would be spread all over the yard.

No comments: