Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Gippsland Flood Painting 2


Day 2 - I have worked in a dramatic muddy blue sky, wanting it to look wet and dark. My reference was taken at night, but I have made it more of a dusk. I am pleased with the skyline, yards and distant water. The gate needs more work, looking a little messy right now. It was a gamble to just block in the water behind to leave the original lines, but I am not sure of its success yet. The rush of the water is very challenging, especially the cresting at middle left. I love painting water, and have done many reflections and seas, but I am trying to remember the lack of light, the muddy colours. Looking deep into my reference, there are eddies at the fence lines, where the water has hit submerged matter and run up and over, or through. It's very wet now paintwise, so may take a day or two to dry enough to get back in.

It's hard to photograph now, with the wet paint, and the light reflection.














"Work for something because it is good, not just because it stands a chance to succeed."
...Vaclav Havel

No comments: