Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Exciting Day

Today I had two wonderful events and one pretty OK one.

I have just come in from watching the lunar eclipse in our eastern sky. For a while I thought that light cloud would block the view, but as time went by, we got the 'full Monty'. A glorious shaded red ball hanging high in the sky, still and quiet and mysterious. Now, as I write, the shadow is moving away and a bright band of light is growing across its surface. My camera struggles to get a clear shot; the night time timer makes for blurry pics, but I held it firm against a post, and below are my best efforts.

My daughter rang, very excited, saying she had a chair in her driveway and was watching the entire eclipse.

It reminded me of January's 'Comet McNaught' which hung for days in the southern night
sky, with a long tail suspended above it.


The second one was the birth of my friend Glynnis and Ian's Cavalier X Poodle puppies. I had called in on my way through from town to clip Meggie's tummy's hair off before Friday's due date. Before I even plugged in the clippers, she promptly had a contraction and popped her mucus plug out, a sure sign she was on her way. Then the first pup's fluid sac bulged out, her waters broke, and after a short time the first pup came out, rear end first. We stood by and helped where necessary as she cleaned and fussed around her new baby, then rescued it as the enthusiastic new mum dug up all the bedding, forgetting there was a tiny creature lying there. She did stop long enough to let baby have a drink, so we stopped worrying about her dodgy mothering instincts.

Two hours on, and she hadn't progressed to the next pup, and I had to get home to feed the poodles, but I rang later and pups two and three had arrived, so all was well. I wonder whether there have been more since?

The last event was we had our car put on LPG gas today. The Australian Government has allowed a $2000 rebate on installation. Our last car was on dual fuel and was very economical to run, so we decided to do the same with our next one. Driving it home, it seemed a bit patchy in performance, but the mechanic assures me it should bed down over the next few days and come good. If not, he will adjust accordingly.

"The moment when you first wake up in the morning is the most wonderful of the twenty-four hours. No matter how weary or dreary you may feel, you possess the certainty that, during the day that lies before you, absolutely anything may happen. And the fact that it practically always doesn't, matters not a jot. The possibility is always there."
...Monica Baldwin

No comments: